China. Land of the Dragons and Emperors

/
0 Comments
Part 1. Of Palaces, Emperors and Roasted Duck.

Of course I travel for my heart and soul. And tummy – also closely connected to my soul.

But in a country so massive and rich in culture, history and culinary delights – I have to do more than just eat! In fact, I will need to keep coming back to see, do, discover and enjoy more!

So my first touristy stop is the famous Forbidden City. It used to be the residence 24 emperors of the last two dynasties (Ming and Qing) for over 600 years!! It is the world’s largest and most well-preserved ancient palatial structure existing today. I am fascinated by history and I find this place quite breath-taking.








You can never see all of Beijing in a day. This city is home to at least 20 million people. So yeah here’s the fun part – food!! And when in Beijing, it is mandatory (at least for me) to have Beijing Kao Ya– the famous Roasted Peking Duck.

What we know as crispy duck or knußprige entein Austria (and perhaps Germany) is essential crispy fried duck. Most restaurants will put some batter on the skin and then deep fry them. An example will be this one which I ate at the airport just before flying out of Munich for China. Yeah I need to compare duck in Europe vs duck in China. A job hazard I say…





Did you know that the history of the Beijing Kao Yadates back to the Ming dynasty? But actually this yummilicious dish existed even before that and in other variations. Whoever the clever chef was, I say thank youuuuor hen duo xie xie ni!! This is definitely one of my favourite dishes of Beijing. And of course, you’ll never order just the Peking duck. This is China, you have to order a few other dishes. And I stopped counting just how many came. Numbers matter no more, the belly is satisfied.



You may also like

No comments: